Tuesday, November 20

Dear Lord I'm Dying

Today was probably the most depressing day of my life. Well, educationally speaking, I suppose. It was H block, Honors Geometry. I sat in the back row, doing a gazillion proofs at a time and playing Tetris on my calculator at the same time. Behind me, my math teacher was correcting our tests and going over them with the other students. The most common phrase that came out of her mouth was, "This hasn't been your best work."

In my mind, I was thinking, "Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap." A week before, I was all pumped up to go into the test, thinking that I was completely ready for it. But when test day came, I realized that there were two problems that I couldn't figure out. I spent all period, thinking up ways to solve the two problems, filling up each section with a confusing web of equations. When the bell rang, signalling the end of the period, I knew that I was doomed for a terrible grade.

It wasn't until today that the thought that I could possibly get a D hit me. I've never gotten such a low grade in math before. Last year, my average was 101.6, and now it's going down, down, down. I was in so much shock that I could only swallow and nod as I stared blankly at the grade in front of me. After school, I stayed in the math room for extra help, but my teacher had to leave early, so she only explained half the problem to me.

As I was walking to the radio station, my heart was broken in two pieces. I could not get the thought of having a D in math out of my head. It wasn't until I called my mom and heard her yell at me over the phone that I began crying. Thankfully, I have wonderful friends who all came to comfort me. That moment was when I realized that I have the best friends anyone could possibly ask for.

No comments: